Nanners' Blog My rantings


Thing-O-Matic Calibration

Last night I did some calibration on the Thing-O-Matic, I was able to print faster than I've ever printed before, and was able to get some petty good detail.  I find that my printer leaves flat areas a bit rougher than I'd like, but then again it might be the plastic.  For some reason I find that the Tardis blue ABS that I've been using seems to come out a bit gooey from the extruder.  I think I'll re-run my gear test prints using a bit lower of a temperature and see what I get.


Thing-O-Matic Firmware

Last night I upgraded my Thing-O-Matic to use Jetty's Sailfish firmware, along with upgrading the extruder firmware.  The extruder was a bit harder to upgrade since it required getting a USB cable in at a very odd angle and detaching the connection to the main board, and the power connection to the PSU.  The main board upgrade to sailfish was easy as could be to do.  I'll be running calibration tonight so I'm hoping to get some good speed and quality.


Node on Raspberry PI

Just a note, the package name for node.js is nodejs not node.  I spent a good 20 minutes on Saturday trying to figure out why my node.js hello world would not run on the pi.

Filed under: Programming No Comments

Raspberry PI Day 2

While minor I installed python-dev, python-pip, tightvnc, node, and npm today at lunch.  I also pulled down and serialport using npm, so I'm all set for some python and node.js development on the pi.

Filed under: Thing-A-Day No Comments

Raspberry PI hooked up

I finally re installed Raspbian on my Raspberry PI, turned on SSH, and enabled port forwarding.  I can now connect to my raspberry pi from my cellphone over SSH.  A small effort, but it's pretty cool.

Filed under: Uncategorized No Comments

8 Pin Arduino

For my first thing of the month I present this:  It's a Fritzing file  that provides a simple design for a 8 pin Arduino. It uses an Attiny and a few parts to allow a very cheap mini Arduino.  It gives you five digital I/O pins, two of which can be used for PWM, and three which can be used for Analog Input.  You will need a external programmer, to burn on the Arduino bootloader, and sketches to it, but at a build for under five dollars it's well worth it.  You will need the ATtiny library from the MIT Media Lab, and the Arduino IDE.


ATtiny Arduino Library:


Filed under: Thing-A-Day No Comments

February Thing-A-Day

I'm going to try my best to keep my blog updated for at least the month and to participate in the Thing-A-Day project.  I don't have a whole lot of time, so I'm going to try to keep my entries to something that can be done in 30 to 45  minutes.


Filed under: Uncategorized No Comments

Time with the HBP

I've spent a few weeks with the HBP, and it's pretty great. The detail on prints is definitely better, and I get very few to no failed prints. A second improvement has been moving the printer from my wobbly desk to a very rigid cabinet. The last upgrade I need to make it switching to using thumb dials on my bolts on the HBP for better leveling. Once I make that I hope to get close to the maximum quality.

Filed under: Uncategorized No Comments


After working with the ABP (automated build platform) on my thing-o-matic for several months, I'd changed to using the heated build platform with an aluminum top. It's been working pretty well so far, and I feel like it's giving me less errors and better resolution. I've been working on trying to get the leveling on it right, once that it done I should be set for some larger prints.


Belt issue Fixed

Once again I've fixed the belt issue with my Thing-O-Matic, it seems that it was most likely just the tension being off in the X and Y, plus the model having some flaws. I tightened both belts and cleaned up my sketchup based model in netfabb and meshlab and was able to get a good print of it this morning. It should be a good weekend for printing!

Filed under: Uncategorized No Comments